You are hereHome › About Our Collection › Land Records › Homestead Files at Saskatchewan Archives › Pre-1930 Homestead File Series (S 42)
Pre-1930 Homestead File Series (S 42)
The pre-1930 homestead files were created by the head office of the Dominion Lands Branch, of the federal Department of the Interior, when it was in charge of land settlement from 1871-1930. In 1956, the Saskatchewan Archives received the homestead files created by the former Department of the Interior.
The pre-1930 homestead file series has been indexed by name and legal land description.
The names of individuals that appear in the homestead index include the following:
- Individuals who applied for a homestead or pre-emption
- Individuals who received patent
- Individuals who cancelled or abandoned their entry
- Individuals who acted as a legal or personal representative on behalf of another homesteader
- Individuals who received or purchased Métis scrip
- Individuals who received or purchased South African scrip
- Individuals who inherited homestead land
In 2005, this index was digitized thanks to a successful partnership of the Saskatchewan Archives with the following partners: the Saskatchewan Genealogical Society, Information Services Corporation of Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan Institute for Applied Science and Technology, the Métis National Council, Saskatchewan Heritage Foundation, Pioneer, ISM Canada and EDS.
The original pre-1930 homestead files are housed in the Saskatchewan Archives’ Saskatoon office, although some portions of the series have been taken out of active circulation for long term preservation and replaced with a microfilm copy of the complete homestead file.
In the Regina office, a microfilm copy is available of the Pre-1930 Homestead File Series. However, some portions of the series have not been filmed in their entirety. In these cases, access to a complete file must be arranged through the Saskatoon office.
The Saskatchewan Archives is in the process of digitizing the entire Pre-1930 Homestead File Series. Nearly 70,000 pages of homestead records are accessible online. As further files are digitized and processed, they will become available on this website.
- Search Our Collection (Threshold)
- Land Records
- History and Background: The Administration of Land in Saskatchewan
- Homestead Files at Saskatchewan Archives
- Search for a Pre-1930 Homestead File
- Other Saskatchewan Land Records
- Court Records
- Documentary Art
- Education and School Records
- Family History Research Sources
- Government Records
- Maps & Architectural Drawings
- Moving Images
- Municipal Records
- Newspapers and Other Publications
- Political and Ministerial Records
- Recorded Sound
- Records from Private Donors