Settlement In Saskatchewan Archives Photo
Search
Keyword Word or "Phrase"
All File Types
Photos
Video Files
Documents
Audio Files
Map
Drawing
OR
Ref Number
OR
Community


Transportation and Communication - Telegraph
Image Preview
Ref Number
R-B1387
Item Date
1885


The first telegraph office in the North West Territories was built in 1878 and located at Humboldt.


During the 1870s the railway was expected to follow a northern route through the prairies and thus the telegraph line was built through this area. As the first means of telecommunication it provided a link to the rest of the world for the homesteaders. Once the railway was completed the focus moved to the southern prairies.

Document Details
Reference Number:
R-B1387
Media Type:
photograph
Keywords:
Telegraph Office; Humboldt; log Cabins


Sort Results:
Preview Ref Number Type Title
Image Preview R-B1387 Photograph 01 - The first telegraph office in the North West Territories was built in 1878 and located at Humboldt.
Image Preview R-A3315 Photograph 02 - A team of horses leaving the Humboldt telegraph and postal station.
Image Preview R-A6720 Map 03 - Route of the first telgraph line across the prairies.
Image Preview R-A6514 Photograph 04 - The Fort Qu'Appelle telegraph office.
Image Preview R-B2237 Photograph 05 - Telegraph employees at work in Saskatoon.
Image Preview R-A18763 Photograph 06 - Telegraph line repairmen.
Prev | 1 | Next
 
Copyright © Saskatchewan Archives Board 2005
Site by OH! Media - Regina Web Design