Settlement In Saskatchewan Archives Photo
Search
Keyword Word or "Phrase"
All File Types
Photos
Video Files
Documents
Audio Files
Map
Drawing
OR
Ref Number
OR
Community


Transportation and Communication - Telephones
Image Preview
Ref Number
R-A9774-8
Item Date
ca 1917


A telephone line crossing the lonely prairie.


The isolation that so many pioneers felt was lessened with the arrival of telephone service. Limited telephone service was available in cities by the end of the 1800s. The distances between farms meant that a similar service to rural customers was slow to develop. This changed when the government stepped in and formed the Department of Telephones in 1908.

Document Details
Reference Number:
R-A9774-8
Media Type:
photograph
Keywords:
Telephone Lines


Sort Results:
Preview Ref Number Type Title
Image Preview R-A9774-8 Photograph 01 - A telephone line crossing the lonely prairie.
Image Preview R-A23182 Photograph 02 - A typical telephone in the 1920s.
Image Preview R-A7359 Photograph 03 - A Saskatchewan Telephone Company crew building a long distance line from Regina to Winnipeg.
Image Preview R-A9774-3 Photograph 04 - In Northern Saskatchewan horses were used to carry the coils of phone wire
Image Preview R-A18771-2 Photograph 05 - Construction of a Trans-Canada telephone line near Shackleton.
Image Preview R-A18906 Photograph 06 - As telephone service expanded most towns soon had streets lined with telephone poles.
Image Preview R-A9772-5 Photograph 07 - A demonstration of a three line switchboard which could service rural areas.
Image Preview R-A1720-1 Photograph 08 - Telephone repair crews used a small platform to work on a line in Prince Albert.
Image Preview R-A20763-2 Photograph 09 - A repair crew had to use a boat to reach a pole following a flood in the Roche Percee district.
Prev | 1 | Next
 
Copyright © Saskatchewan Archives Board 2005
Site by OH! Media - Regina Web Design